Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What to do with old pants/Day 3

Those of you who follow my blog know that this week I am posting project ideas using old pants. 
  Today the project I would like to share with you is a diaper and wipes holder for the back seat of my car. I have never done this before so it is kind of funny looking,but I needed something fast! I made the pockets with the same pink pants I had for my little  Pink purses.
  
I was trying to make a tutorial for this,but that didn't work out so well.
 Here is what I did though, in case you want to make one.
#1 Measure the back of your seat and then add 1-1 1/2" on all for sides. Cut out two pieces of cotton and one piece batting this size.


 
#2 Measure the diapers and wipes. Then cut two pieces of thick fabric for your pockets. Remember to add the extra measurements for the seams. 

#3 If you are going to add an embellishment to your pockets, now is the time. I used felt and buttons.( If you would like to learn how to do this let me know)


#4 Iron all four sides of your pockets in toward the wrong side of your fabric.   I actually ironed on some fusible interfacing to insides of my pockets,but you don't have to.Sew on velcro.
 
#5 Place batting down on table, now add one of your cotton pieces on top with the right side facing up. Now add your second cotton piece on top of that,but have the right side facing down. Sew all around the edges,but leave an opening, so that you can turn it inside out. 
#6 Turn your cotton pieces inside out,  and then stitch up the opening.

#7 Quilt the cotton pieces by sewing straight lines across the whole thing.


I used scotch tape as my guide.



 #8 Now add you pockets,first sew on where you want your velcro and the pin and sew on your pockets.


#9 For the straps, Measure around your seat top and bottom.(I used bias tape. I sewed it closed and then added the curtain rings to the ends.

 Please, you have any questions, feel free to ask!

If you enjoyed this,follow me for some more ideas like this coming soon!
  I am linking into these parties,come join us!




http://athomewithk.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

  1. This is so clever! I love the color combo and the little buttons. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hopping over to blog today and leaving me some encouraging comments! Now I'm just getting acquainted with you. Wow! You can sew, Girl! Your projects are so clever and well done. My sewing projects are few...I usually break alot of needles. Can I blame my sewing machine?:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!what a great idea!

    I just wanted to say thanks for you funny comment the other day...my house looks like this 75% of the time, the other 25% of the time is when we are on vacation. go figure, right?

    hahaha.
    Halsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I think I had a pair of overalls with that same material and pink when I was little. Brings back memories.
    Love this back seat orgaThanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!nizer. Would be great for toys as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sewing maniac. Can't stand sewing. Great job.
    Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so great!!! I love it!!
    Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving such a wonderful comment. :)
    I hope that you and your family have a blessed Easter and weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a great way to protect the seat back from busy feet and provide kid storage!! nice job!

    ps thanks for being a new follower!

    http://megschmitt-neveradullday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete