Thursday, October 27, 2011

Diamonds in the rough

Hello and thank you for stopping by,


  I am going to introduce you to two night stands that I have been working on for an embarrassingly long time. I bought these two night stands at a thrift store back in.....August. They were pretty ugly and stinky,but they had potential. I chose these pieces because they were solid wood, no cheapy fake stuff and I really liked the style. Here are what the little darlings looked like before.
       

What do you think? A little better huh? Of course anything would be better than what they were before.


I had to degloss and sand both pieces. I then added a light blue primer / paint by Olympic called "Lunar eclipse". After a couple of coats of blue paint,I painted on the decorative artwork. I painted the top and front images with black acrylic paint. I found inspiration for the paintings by searching online for "toile fabric"
 
After painting, I sanded down the corners and then I applied watered down black acrylic paint to all the sanded areas. After all my paint was dry I applied a couple coats of poly acrylic protective polish all over. To make these look and feel like new I even paint the backs, the bottoms and the all of the drawers inside and out.
I used the original white glass knobs and just replaced the screws inside. I then painted the tops of the screws with black spray paint.

My husband secured all of the loose corners and now we have ourselves two nice little dolls and you would never be able to tell that they had a bad past.
Here some other photos.
Now I am going to do a daring thing and try to sell these on Craigslist!
Wish me luck!
Today I am going to visit these parties.

10 comments:

  1. Connie these are gorgeous!! I love the color the details that you added.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hand painted the designs? They look perfect! You're so talented Miss crafter bug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look beautiful! Good luck selling them. I'm sure someone will scoop them up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie
    Your tables are fantastic! Have to say they were pretty darn ugly before you did your magic!
    You did an amazing job, I'm sure someone will snap them up!
    Thanks for visiting!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a transformation! Love how they turned out. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful!! I'd love it if you would link it up to my #7 Link Party that started on Tuesday.I'm a new follower to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous tables! So different. Terrific job on them, you'll have no trouble selling those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love them!! I need some nightstands or dressers if you find any and wanna modernize them up for me in black or espresso color

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE them. LOVE. ANything with drawers really but oooohhh these are great!!! Good job my friend!!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look amazing! Hopefully you were able to sell them quickly.

    ReplyDelete